Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Environmental Science in the News

For my Bio 36 environmental science class I was asked to look up online news or an article that interested me and pertained to our class. I was interested on this article called Study: Southern butterfly species growing in Mass that came from that Boston news page. I found this article in my environmental class website. The news article mainly talks about the growth and decline in population of butterflies in the Boston area. The butterfly species were observed and researched for about two decades. Massachusetts Butterfly club followers and researchers from Harvard University worked together to study the species that were in certain areas of Boston. According the Boston news article, “the study found that warm-climate-adapted butterfly species have grown by an estimated 1,000 percent, while cold-climate-adapted species, which have long been native to the Bay State, have declined -- some by up to 90 percent.” This shows that butterfly species like more the warmer climate than the colder climate in Boston. It seems that species are growing and reproducing in the warm parts while the ones that live in the colder climate areas are decreasing. Link to the article: http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2012/08/20/study_southern_butterfly_species_growing_in_mass/ In addition, I believe that this article is reliable. I found this article in my environmental class website. It provides a good source of information for those who live in Boston. It provides worldwide news and information to events that are happening in the city. I believe Associated Press runs the website. This is because in the article, Associated Press is written on the page. Also, Associated Press is considered to be a nonprofit news organization or agency. According to the Boston article they claim that, “Seventeen of the 21 northern butterfly species in Massachusetts, including the Atlantis Fritillary and the Acadian Hairstreak, were found to be in population decline.” As I was reading the article I did not find any logical fallacies. The article was interesting for me. This is because I am a fan of butterflies and I enjoyed reading about their findings. Workcited http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2012/08/20/study_southern_butterfly_species_growing_in_mass/

No comments:

Post a Comment