Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Blog 9 Favorite Food

In my environmental science class I was asked to research a food I like to eat a lot. I choose to research my favorite Veggie Sticks. Veggie sticks has many ingredients. For example, they are made out of potato flour, expeller pressed safflower oil, rice flour, tomato powder, spinach powder, salt, beet, powder. The label on the back says it has all natural ingredients, nothing genetically modified, no trans fat, and gluten free ingredients. I was not able to find where they are made. I wanted to call the company and ask, but the product does not have any number where you can reach them at or website. The product labels say it is organic and that all ingredients are natural. It does not say if it was grown or raised. I tried researching it and I had no luck. The product is considered to be veggie chips. I also found out that according to the label in the back this product is manufactured with soy, wheat, and milk derivatives. The label also says it is distributed in Grandville, MI. It gives an address to the place where they are distributed. I could not find anything that says who produced it, or manufactured it. Online I cannot find any type of information besides ingredients just like on the label. I had no luck finding any type of information that would tell me what kind of impact the product produces. The only thing that I can think of is that it does have an impact to the environment because it comes in a bag like regular chips. Also, I think that it does have an impact to the environment because it is distributed in another city and state and it is brought to California. Therefore, it causes pollution because most likely they are brought in big trucks that release pollution into the air. In addition, according to Livestrong Website, veggie chips are not as healthy as we think. They do reduce in fat, but they are not healthy because you get a good amount of sodium. People still need to watch the amount of intake from the veggie chips. It is only a small difference between veggie chips and regular chips. Livestrong Website says, “veggie chips contains 134 calories and 6.6 grams of fat, of which 0.5 gram is saturated and potato chips contains 154 calories and 10.3 grams of fat, of which 1.1 grams are saturated.” Also, this product is tasty and salty. I like them, but now I know to watch my intake. Works Cited http://www.livestrong.com/article/397941-are-veggie-chips-healthy/

4 comments:

  1. First off great job! After reading your blog I actually learned a little and got a lot of information and such a small topic that no one ever bothers to read. You listed all the ingredients as well as calories and went into detail with some things so good job. As for my food I found it to be rather difficult to find information on it. For example, where the ingredients are created or who makes them was a mystery to me, it was actually hard to find all the information because it wasn't really listed anywhere but I found all the info I could and I can see you did the same. After this blog I learned that the snacks I've been eating are pretty bad and contain a lot of bad stuff that could possibly harm the body. It made me aware however. Overall I must say you did a great job and explain your food very well and cant wait to try some in class!!
    -Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veggie Sticks sounds like an interesting snack because of being partial healthy. I wound not realize that a sound like healthy snack can cause harm to your health. For instance, Veggie Sticks can be reduce in fat, good amount of sodium, intakes of the chips, and pollution of the trucks that transport them. Great information on the nutritional facts of the snacks you brought together. However, downside I would of like to know where they came from or some standout facts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so interesting knowing what is inside Veggie Sticks. I have tasted this snack before, I believe now, knowing what is inside it makes me want actual raw vegetables instead. Thanks for the information. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The Veggie Sticks come from half-way across the U.S. just to sell at California that will create a lot of pollutions like CO2 and PM 2.5.

    ReplyDelete