Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Energy

In our environmental class we had to reduce as much energy as we could for a day. This means we had to stop using our phones and using our cars. Also, that means we had to minimize using hot water, lots of lighting, computer and a/c heater. I started my activity on Friday morning and it continued until Saturday morning. On Friday, I had to use my car for work. I only used two times that day. I drove to work and then back. In addition, I didn’t use my phone at all for the twenty four hours. It was hard at the beginning of my day, but I did it. The next day I had so many texts and people were wondering what happened to me. By the end of the twenty four hours I felt good that I didn’t have a phone. I felt relaxed that I didn’t have to answer my text and notifications all day. The other hard part was not using my computer. I have a lot of work to do and I got behind because I didn’t work on anything for a day, but it felt good to have a day off. Also, having to try to shower with cold water was something I could not do. I like my hot water and showers it relaxes me and would not change it for the world. Except when I do laundry I usually wash with cold water anyways, so that was easy for me to do. Another thing that was easy for me to do was to dry my clothes outside by hanging them. I am Mexican and I grew up drying my clothes outside. I did not have to change that. I hardly ever use the dryer. Another thing I did not have trouble with was using a/c. Only if it was really hot I would use it, but on Friday it was a little chilly at night and in the morning. I didn’t have to use a/c, so I had not problem in this area. One thing I need to practice on and even tell my husband to do as well was to turn off the lights of the rooms we were not using them. It was it constant reminder for us, but I tried hard. I know I walk into one room turn on the light and then walk to another room and do the same. I think by the end of the day I did okay. I felt okay making some changes it was hard for some of them, but I ended up doing it in the end. Like I stated before, I could never give up my long showers and warm showers. I work and go to school and that relaxes me at the end of the day. Another thing I could not do without is leaving my phone and car. For one day I only used my car twice, but on a regular basis I couldn’t especially with the hot weather. I cannot see myself riding a bike to work and night school. My phone is my Everything. I use it for everything. I don’t know people’s numbers by memory, so it helps me a lot with that and how to find places where I need to go. I also I check all my emails and sent emails with my phone. For one day it did felt good to disconnect from world, but I could not on a regular basis. Also, I don’t think I can stop using my computer and do most of my work on it and I need it just like I need my phone. On the other hand, I can change turning off the lights and appliances I am not using. I think one thing I can cut back that I been thinking about since we started talking about pollutants has been plastic. It’s been on my mind and I pay more attention of how much plastic I bring to my home and how it impacts our environment. I noticed for small things I buy at the store I collect so many unneeded plastic bags. I think in the future I will try to not use plastics anymore. Another thing I can do to help the environment is just really make sure I turn off all the things I’m not using at home and to also maybe start using more natural resources. One way I can increase energy efficiency at home is by switching to solar panels. Also by opening windows for cool air rather than a/c I think I reduce my energy. I also think switching to energy efficient lighting would be something I can do.

3 comments:

  1. I found out that change to energy efficient electronics like LED lighting are the easy part, but our own habit is very hard to change, it will need a long to adopt. It is a good start from changing to more energy efficient technology is the first step on cutting back on energy consumption.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog and it seems like you did not have such a hard time being unplugged and you're right it was relaxing not having to reply back to notifications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention in my blog that I am going to change to energy efficient light bulbs. Good job!

    ReplyDelete