Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Reduce Your Waste blog#8

In my environmental science class I was asked to keep track of my waste for two days and to measure it. I was also asked to find other strategies to reduce my waste and try and implement those strategies for two days and this is what I found: I found out that in a two day period I create 65 pieces of trash in my bedroom trash can. I consumed 11 pieces of paper, 2 pieces of trash that can’t be recycled, 17 pieces of trash that can be recycled, 15 pieces of food waste and 20 pieces of plastics and packages. Then I found strategies that can be used to reduce waste. What were in most of my trash were plastics and items that I can recycle, but I don’t. Reduction Waste strategies: - According to the Zero Waste Home Website we need to, Use our “5Rs right: Refuse what you do not need, Reduce what you do need, Reuse what you consume, Recycle what you cannot Refuse, Reduce or Reuse, and Rot (Compost) the rest.” - Also according to the Zero Waste Home Website we need to find, “alternatives to disposables (paper towels, garbage liners, wax paper, aluminum sheets, disposable plates, cups, etc....): Swap paper towels for reusable rags, swap sandwich baggies for kitchen towels or stainless containers, drop garbage liners all together (wet waste is mostly compostable anyways).” - Shop less and buy foods that can you reuse like jars/ reduce package waste. - Shop at farmers market and take your own reusable containers/ bags. - Recycle anything that can be recycled. - Prevent food waste by planning meals ahead and only cook in small amounts to reduce leftover food. - Find ways to restore or reuse old clothes and appliances. For example, you can have a garage sale or take your stuff to a thrift store or organizations. You can also take them to a place where they recycle appliances and electronics. Attempting to Reduce my Waste: For two days I have attempted to reduce my waste. It has been hard. I could only try to attempt a few things that I listed above. My biggest challenge is mastering the 5R’s. I tried not buying package goods from the store it has been hard. Mostly everything comes in plastics. I also went shopping to a farmers market bought only small amounts of food. Less than what I bought at a regular grocery store because I am also wasting food. I am not eating it and I throw it away. I am willing to keep on trying to go to farmers market, plan for meals, and buy less stuff including food. Maybe try not to buy many plastics or packaged stuff. I also separated my trash and put the trash I can recycle in the blue trash that I have at home. In the blue trash can I put like more than half of the items I had in the waste basket. In the end I reduced my waste by only having 25 small pieces of trash in my waste basket. I reduced a lot of my waste in two days. The most difficult trash to get rid of was small pieces of trash like small plastics and food waste. I need to keep on working on my food waste because I realized I’m wasting food. I need to also start using reusable items or start taking cloth bags to the store. Works Cited http://zerowastehome.blogspot.com/p/tips.html http://zerowastehome.blogspot.com/2010/01/zero-waste-grocery-shopping.html http://reduce.org/home/index.html Picture from Zerowaste Home website

3 comments:

  1. It is hard to buy things from stores without using plastic since mostly everyone is use to using plastic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it can be difficult to make purchases with out plastic. You did great work

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too found that my trash collection at first consisted of items that I can recycle but just didn't. I think it's all about habit. I never got into the habit of recycling other than when I would be conveniently passing a recycle bin. I know the 5 R's were stated in class but I'm glad someone else found them online as well.
    I've been meaning to visit a farmer's market, I know that Riverside has one every Saturday, I'm making time this Saturday to go visit. It would be not only sustainable, but probably healthier to buy food from farmer markets. It was really cool that you went to one.
    When I was doing my two conserving days I too found that eliminating plastics was one of the most difficult things. I think we've become desensitized to plastic, but it's seriously EVERYWHERE! Even things that are originally wrapped in plastic are wrapped in more plastics.
    Hopefully as a nation we can move away from the excessive use of plastics. I really enjoyed your post! Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete